Old Habits Die Hard.

by Melisa Wells on February 23, 2012

When he was little, J–like so many other young kids–had a strong aversion to bread crust. Unfortunately for him, I had a strong aversion to making a sandwich and then cutting off the crusts for my kid. Call me mean if you want, but I just figured that if he didn’t like the bread crust that much, he could just eat around it. I did help him out a little bit, though, by cutting his sandwiches into quarters on the diagonal. This way, he could nibble what he considered “the good stuff” all the way down to the crust.

That picture above, though? That was my sandwich, from yesterday’s lunch. You see, my mom used to cut my sandwiches into quarters on the diagonal, and I still cut them that way for myself, every single time. (I DO eat the crust, in case you’re wondering.)

{ 9 comments }

Shannon February 23, 2012 at 8:46 am

You feel like you’re eating more when you cut a sandwich into fourths!

Also, when I was a kid my mom used to tell us that there were more vitamins in the crust than in the rest of the bread, so we had to eat the crusts. I continued to believe this until a couple of years ago, when she admitted that it was a lie. Looking back, it of course makes no sense that the nutrients would all pool in the crust while the bread is baking.

Lisa @ Oh Boy Oh Boy Oh Boy February 23, 2012 at 8:58 am

LOL I never cut my sandwiches.

megryansmom February 23, 2012 at 9:03 am

You know you can make 2 butterflies out of the 4 triangles. THAT makes for fun eating LOL

Ally Bean February 23, 2012 at 9:20 am

My mother had the same idea about bread crust removal that you do. However, she always cut my sandwiches into non-triangular shapes: (1 cut, 2 rectangles) or (2 cuts, 4 squares). I thought that triangles were so cute, but she didn’t go for such nonsense. I have no idea why she was anti-triangle but she was. Weird, huh?

Tara R. February 23, 2012 at 11:01 am

Triangle are so much cooler than squares. I even like my deli subs cut on a diagonal.

Grandma W February 23, 2012 at 8:01 pm

It tickles me that you still do that for yourself. Thanks for keeping up that tradition. I have been eatting Nutella at least once a week. I haven’t had it I don’t think since your Dad and I were living in
Germany. It is sooooo good.

Love you
Grandma W

Taryn February 23, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Now I want a PBJ, in butterflies.

Toni February 23, 2012 at 8:16 pm

My mom always cut on the diagonal too. I remember going to school and having lunch…and wondering why they cut the sandwiches in half the rectangle way. I thought it was SO weird! I’ve always cut my son’s on the diagonal too :D Does it seem to you that the tinier the pieces, the faster you eat the sandwich? LOL

As Cape Cod Turns February 24, 2012 at 7:03 am

Call me crazy, but I switch it up. Triangles some days, rectangles some other days. And I have grown to like crust a little.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: